Bomber County Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insure the Rocco for a year or travelling?

5 posters

Go down

Insure the Rocco for a year or travelling? Empty Insure the Rocco for a year or travelling?

Post  ash-lough Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:24 am

Seems obvious, but hear me out first...

This will be a bit of an essay so press the back button if you are not up for some reading!

Also this may not be the best place to get a neutral perspective on this (being a dub forum) but it’s a good start to my decision making. So here goes:

Basically I go back to uni next year which means being skint again, by summer I should have enough cash to either; insure and tax the Rocco for a year, go on a mental travelling sesh or something else of equal value (maybe even save it, who knows?).

This is something I thought would not need disputing and sticking the Rocco on the road would be the obvious option! However I am likely to have a lot of work on next year so won’t be travelling around much, Loughborough is a place you can get everywhere to on a bike/by foot, the train home is around £10, whereas petrol is costing me £30+. This is effectively what I will be paying around £1500 for if I tax and insure the Rocco for the year. I wouldn’t sell the car, instead leave it at home and just make sure it stays well kept and has a run out every now and then. This comes with the benefit of being able to do bigger things to it as I may have a little spare cash and I don’t have to worry about getting the car back on the road ASAP cos I won’t be able to use it.

For the price of all this I am toying with the idea of going travelling for a month with a few friends, all over Thailand and that area doing the full moon party and whatnot to get it out my system. I want to do the whole travelling thing, but I am worried that if I do it after I graduate I will miss the opportunity of being a fresh graduate and getting on a grad scheme (hopefully with 3M). So if I do it this summer I get the best of both worlds. Oh and also next year our house is allowed only one parking permit and there are 2 drivers (including me) so it is likely we will have to take it in turns to have our car at uni anyway. So it seems like an awful lot of money for not a great deal.

The pro’s for not re-insuring the car seem to outweigh the con’s (biggest of which is that I won’t be able to drive my car and being without a car is gash!)

One of my worries is that I will lose my NCB which is quite a big thing for me, being so young – how much extra will I have to pay when I re-insure at 22 without 3 years NCB compared to with? Paying £1000+ to insure for a year just to hold on to a NCB will surely not be worth it?

Help and suggestions welcome, constructive ones of course!

Thanks for reading if you got this far.
Ash

ash-lough
ash-lough
Site Regular
Site Regular

Back to top Go down

Insure the Rocco for a year or travelling? Empty Re: Insure the Rocco for a year or travelling?

Post  lewis1641 Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 am

ash, it seems to me you really want to go to thailand. i had no desire to do that sort of thing so from a personal point of view i would insure the car but..,. you dont want to be 32 with a mortgage and a mini ash, resting a manky cup of tea on your beer belly whilst watching mundane shite on the tv thinking " i really want to go to thailand"

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DO IT, DO IT NOW WHILE YOU CAN

being without a car is temporary. not following your dreams is permanent. seriously ash, dont be a dick and get them flights booked.

as for NCB, they honour it for 2 years so no problemo

send me a postcard
lewis1641
lewis1641
WingMan
WingMan

http://www.map-tech.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Insure the Rocco for a year or travelling? Empty Re: Insure the Rocco for a year or travelling?

Post  ash-lough Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:49 am

Oh cool, I thought I'd just lose the NCB if I didnt insure!

I just want to go travelling, Thailand has been thrown out there cos it's cheap and looks good (and we love ladyboys).

Thats what I thought, I'm pretty much always going to have a car, but after uni is all done and dusted I won't get the opportunity to go mental all around the world!

Thank-you for the wise words Dave!
ash-lough
ash-lough
Site Regular
Site Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mitty85 Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:30 am

I first went travelling when I was 17 and I came home for my 21st birthday. I did Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Bali etc. I worked a lot in New Zealand and Australia. I was a boat builder in Aus and my Boss wanted to put me through my ship right course.
I would deffo say go travelling. Only thing you might find is that 1 month is not long enough. Or you will spend up before the month is up and have to come home early. Seen it happen loads of times. I was only planning on going for 6 months.
I still insured my car while I was away. Just insured it as a below 5000 miles a year car that brought it down a bit also put my dad on my insurnce which dropped it also.
If you want any advise just ask.
mitty85
mitty85
Starting To Speak
Starting To Speak

Back to top Go down

Post  ash-lough Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:57 am

Id love to go for longer, but I only have a month free before starting uni.

Cheers for that I'll bear it in mind, might ask at some point about getting work out in Aus for a year Very Happy
ash-lough
ash-lough
Site Regular
Site Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mitty85 Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 pm

I found it pretty hard finding work in Aus to start with. I spent 3 months in Sydney over christmas and only got 6 days labouring.
Melbourne I got part time work in a sandwhich bar and I registered with a hospitality agency. I ended up working at the common wealth games, bar and resturant work.
When I got back to Sydney I managed to get a job contracted to Mustang detailing their boats which lead onto boat building.
You want to get a Lonley Planet for the area you want to go to. I found them a great help. They list accommodation and things to do in the area.
mitty85
mitty85
Starting To Speak
Starting To Speak

Back to top Go down

Post  caistor_bmx Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Sign the rocco over to me, I will take gooood care of her Very Happy Very Happy
caistor_bmx
caistor_bmx
WingMan
WingMan

http://www.fatalitybmx.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SLIMboyJIM Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:24 am

Keep the rocco under a sheet and go see the world. Take it from somebody that knows. Your car will never leave you and no matter how long you are gone for you will always have something to look forward to when you come back! FTW
JIM
SLIMboyJIM
SLIMboyJIM
Starting To Speak
Starting To Speak

http://www.centrelinemachining.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down