Bomber County Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poor fuel mpg...not the best with the price atm!

4 posters

Go down

Poor fuel mpg...not the best with the price atm! Empty Poor fuel mpg...not the best with the price atm!

Post  Wiztic Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:33 am

Hey all,

my mk2 1990 1.8 8v is drinking petrol,

I know with prices recently my range on £15 would drop, but its gone right through the floor and looks to be over fueling massively to the point where I actully have a carbon stain on my bumber above the exhausts lol.

Any pointers would be welcome, I've tried changing the blue temp sensor with no notable effect and checked for air leaks...even cleaned out the idol control...now I'm stumped Smile

thanks Smile
Wiztic
Wiztic
Can't Shut Me Up
Can't Shut Me Up

Back to top Go down

Poor fuel mpg...not the best with the price atm! Empty Re: Poor fuel mpg...not the best with the price atm!

Post  lemski Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:41 pm

clean throttle body, clean your air filter. check all the connections to the sensors just incase there loose, check all fuses to do with fueling in the fuse box. thats all i can think of to be honest mate, and i learnt this at gifhe. about the only thing i have learned from there. lol

remember tom diagnose the problem.
lemski
lemski
Top Of The World (Legend)

Back to top Go down

Poor fuel mpg...not the best with the price atm! Empty Re: Poor fuel mpg...not the best with the price atm!

Post  adi Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:00 pm

How do you drive it? I guess yours is a digifant? I get on average 28-31mpg around town and around 45mpg on a good run, are you just going by the MFA reading or can you actually see the fuel guage going down?
adi
adi
WingMan
WingMan

Back to top Go down

Post  DubaHolic Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:18 am

lemski wrote:clean throttle body, clean your air filter. check all the connections to the sensors just incase there loose, check all fuses to do with fueling in the fuse box. thats all i can think of to be honest mate, and i learnt this at gifhe. about the only thing i have learned from there. lol

remember tom diagnose the problem.

Thubs up for this one, start with the easy simple stuff first, i did this on mine and it has made a good difference in my fuel. Very Happy
DubaHolic
DubaHolic
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lemski Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:01 am

yeh my fuellings better not av turned the air down, so it ticks over at 950, it is abit lumpy though
lemski
lemski

Back to top Go down

Poor fuel mpg...not the best with the price atm! Empty Idle...

Post  adi Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:10 am

My idle sometimes raises itself to about 1100rpm on its own, and it'l stay there for a while. This doesn't happen all the time though. Is the idle control thingy magig in front of the inlet plenum to blame?
adi
adi
WingMan
WingMan

Back to top Go down

Post  lemski Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:20 am

sounds like a faulty isv there mate, i know that my cold start valve doesnt work, or does sometimes work, but doesnt really bother me.
lemski
lemski

Back to top Go down

Post  adi Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:23 am

I've heard you can clean them? How dya do that?
adi
adi
WingMan
WingMan

Back to top Go down

Post  lemski Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 am

petrol or carb cleaner mate, theres like a vaccum pipe goes into the back of them i think, am not sure as i havnt really looked at my isv, but ide say (and dont hold me to this) your poor some carb cleaner in that hole and wash out. i think there will somats on the tinterweb or golfgti. but then post it up in haynes so we all know.
lemski
lemski

Back to top Go down

Post  adi Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:33 am

Just found some good info on digifants, just posted it up in the haynes section. Tom shoudl read this too, might help him out.
adi
adi
WingMan
WingMan

Back to top Go down

Post  lemski Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:38 am

av seen it mate, and you 8v lot are sorted with ya digis, us k-jet will have to soldier on still. (doesnt bother me as am off to bike carbs)
lemski
lemski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down