Bomber County Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lambda sonsor advise needed and ideas?????

5 posters

Go down

Lambda sonsor advise needed and ideas????? Empty Lambda sonsor advise needed and ideas?????

Post  DubaHolic Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Hey,

I am a little confused by my lambda sensor on my car, basically when i took the car upm on a ramp and looked at my exhaust system i noticed that it was located a long way back from what i actuallly thought it should be. It is located just before the cat as you can see in the below pics and you will be able to see how far back down the system it is located too

Lambda sonsor advise needed and ideas????? IMAG0609
Lambda sonsor advise needed and ideas????? IMAG0610-1

The issue i have really is that i bought a whole new decat stainless sytem from the down pipe back which came off a mk2 gti and does not have the lambda sensor hole for it to sit in, so after speaking to liam we had said that it probably be a good idea to measure it up on the new system and drill a hole and weld the threaded bolt onto it but i am still not 100% sure that it should be sitting so far back?
I have also been looking at buying a stainless 4-1 branch manifold and when looking closer at the pic oof the one i am intrested in it shows a lambda hole at the end of the down pipe. So i did a little digging about and have managed to find out that the corrado g60's have the lambda located at this area as the picture shows below.

Lambda sonsor advise needed and ideas????? Obd_ii_conv019

So now i am heading towards not drilling any holes in my new center section and maybe when i get a new manifold just relocate the lambda where it should be.

What i really want to know is why would anybody locate the lambda so far back? Is there a reason for this? Surely with it been so far back it wont be working properly if it is suppose to be at the down pipe (the car doesnt run crap or lumpy)? Should i just buy this manifold and put the lambda sensor back to where it should be? Just a bit worried that there is a reason for it been where it is at the mo?
Below is the link to the manifold that i am thinking of buying and as you can see the lambda sit on the bottom of the down pipe on the right of the image.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230576322824&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anyway any advice would be much appricated Very Happy
DubaHolic
DubaHolic
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Lambda sonsor advise needed and ideas????? Empty Re: Lambda sonsor advise needed and ideas?????

Post  caistor_bmx Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:24 pm

It will make no difference where the sensor is located dude. What the engine farts out into the pipe has to come out of the exhaust. It measures the oxygen levels in the air flow and adjusts acordingly at the buisiness end of the car, weather this is taken on the manifold base or just before your back box it doesnt matter as its the same air (except if your running a cat obv, then the levels are different. Could you not weld it in anyhow then just bolt it up when you move it if you get the new manifold?

caistor_bmx
caistor_bmx
WingMan
WingMan

http://www.fatalitybmx.com

Back to top Go down

Lambda sonsor advise needed and ideas????? Empty Re: Lambda sonsor advise needed and ideas?????

Post  DubaHolic Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Yeah i was thinking of doing this but then i thought that as there is only 2 days left on the manifold then i might as well wait and see if i win it Very Happy

I understand the principles behind the lambda i just couldnt understand why it was that far back, actually thinking about it a never checked to see if the down pipe already has a lambda and it has been covered up? Surely being a G60 corrado engine it should have one? I will investigate this tomorrow.

Anyway cheers for the advice sam. Lets hope i win this manifold.
DubaHolic
DubaHolic
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lowlifedubber Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 pm

As long as it is front of the cat it doesnt matter.Whatever gases exhaust at the manifold are the same until it gets to the cat.Wherever you want to put it just drill a hole and weld in a boss.
You can just cap it until you relocate the lambda.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lambda-Sensor-Stainless-Boss-M18-/320636135145?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa76726e9

Yours is an 18mm so the above is what you need.

You could be a pikey and put one of these in
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lambda-Boss-Sensor-Nut-3-Exhaust-Pipe-Repair-Kit-T304-/270685831033?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0621ff79

bit theyre just wankypants so do it properly. Laughing
Lowlifedubber
Lowlifedubber
Can't Shut Me Up
Can't Shut Me Up

http://www.lowlifedubz.com/forums/

Back to top Go down

Post  lemski Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:51 pm

well where its placed is actually so that the pre heating element in the lamba heats up quick enough, but too close they burn out and too far they take to long and the readings all go abit peat tongue, but normally they are located on the manifold. its amazing when i actually learn something from tutors at college.
lemski
lemski
Top Of The World (Legend)
Top Of The World (Legend)

Back to top Go down

Post  DubaHolic Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Lowlifedubber wrote:As long as it is front of the cat it doesnt matter.Whatever gases exhaust at the manifold are the same until it gets to the cat.Wherever you want to put it just drill a hole and weld in a boss.
You can just cap it until you relocate the lambda.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lambda-Sensor-Stainless-Boss-M18-/320636135145?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa76726e9

Yours is an 18mm so the above is what you need.

You could be a pikey and put one of these in
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lambda-Boss-Sensor-Nut-3-Exhaust-Pipe-Repair-Kit-T304-/270685831033?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0621ff79

bit theyre just wankypants so do it properly. Laughing

Cheers that is spot on, think i will buy one of the first ones even though i am the winning bidder on that manifold at the mo Very Happy Might buy a couple anyway, look like they could be handy to have if i ever think about changing the system anyway? Do you have welding gear????
DubaHolic
DubaHolic
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lowlifedubber Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 pm

I havnt at home as my Tig inverter blew and it cost more to fix than it did to replace.I can get it done at my bro's in Gainsborough though,he owns a fabrication company so we can just pop over there and buzz it up if you like. Cool

p/s you still havnt pm'd me about your charger and that beemer yet. Laughing
Lowlifedubber
Lowlifedubber
Can't Shut Me Up
Can't Shut Me Up

http://www.lowlifedubz.com/forums/

Back to top Go down

Post  DubaHolic Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:03 pm

O yeah shit i will pm you that tomorrow. Yeah that would be cool if we could get that done.
DubaHolic
DubaHolic
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ShoozY Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 pm

looks like i was beaten to this but i am in agreement with whats been said,you cant go rong eatherway so its up to you on how you go about it Very Happy
ShoozY
ShoozY
Can't Shut Me Up
Can't Shut Me Up

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down