Bomber County Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a question for the younger owners

+7
lemski
Sakers
slimg60
ash-lough
Krash
adi
lewis1641
11 posters

Go down

a question for the younger owners Empty a question for the younger owners

Post  lewis1641 Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 am

quick question. why?

not criticising you all for your excellent taste but it really has suprised me how many of you are into the older water cooled stuff. i assumed the fanbase of the mk1's and 2's, corrados and sciroccos would be the 30 to 40 year olds. the cars being in their heyday as we were growing up and wishing we could afford a gti.

i would have thought the 18-25 year olds today would be more interested in the later generations.

discuss.
lewis1641
lewis1641
WingMan
WingMan

http://www.map-tech.co.uk

Back to top Go down

a question for the younger owners Empty Re: a question for the younger owners

Post  adi Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:10 am

I have no idea why, It might have something to do with me being a horticultural engineer apprentice and being able to appreciate the more simple mechanics rather than the electrically controlled mechanics the larger tractors have. I was 18 when I got my 1st mk2, an F reg 1.8 GL from a scrapyard for £75 (went straight through an MOT). I was 19 when I got my 1st gti, a C reg 1.9 tsr 8v, and it was love from then on I guess. I had a few newer faster cars back then like a 306 gti-6, but it was always the mk2 that got me excited, hence why I've owned 8 of them up to now. Plus its quite a nice thought owning a car thats a year older than myself Cool
adi
adi
WingMan
WingMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Krash Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:40 am

i know this doesnt apply to me as i have a polo
but could have something to do with not wanting to be portrayed as typical boy racer in a french box
every time i see a saxo i think their a wanker, but not for anyone driving a 25 year old golf
Krash
Krash
Site Regular
Site Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  adi Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 am

unless its a mk2 golf with lexus lights, then they ARE a wanker Laughing
adi
adi
WingMan
WingMan

Back to top Go down

Post  ash-lough Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:17 am

Ash summed it up pretty well, dont want to be a tosser in a Corsa/Saxo.

Love the look of the older VW's, dont get me wrong I wouldnt kick a new Scirocco out of bed, but for 20 grand (+) less I am happy with my Mk2!!

I originally started liking the Sciroccos when I saw one for sale and looked up an insurance quote and realised I could almost afford it. With the extra power and the fact it looked a hell of a lot better than my first student wagon (106) I had to have one and it was only a matter of time until I did. Now I've entered the whole dub scene I don't think there will be any going back either Very Happy
ash-lough
ash-lough
Site Regular
Site Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  slimg60 Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:53 am

I guess it's just different poeple have different tastes, and a VW club will tend to draw in like minded people Wink
slimg60
slimg60
Just Getting Started
Just Getting Started

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakers Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Ive always thought older cars look so much better, they actually have lines and decent looks to them, not like all the newer cars which are mostly round ( i love squarer cars haha ), all look the same and "eco" cars, dont get me wrong theres some nice cars out now but nothing like the 70s - 80s cars. Was going to end up in an alfa romeo 33 cause my dads obsessed with alfas lol, but was at a car show in humberstone before i started driving, saw some old vw's and thought i deffinately want one of these

ash-lough wrote:Ash summed it up pretty well, dont want to be a tosser in a Corsa/Saxo.

Haha exactly, if i could have only ended up driving one of those i was gonna do a bike test instead
Sakers
Sakers
Starting To Speak
Starting To Speak

Back to top Go down

Post  lemski Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:03 pm

i think dave its all on the person, personally i drive my mk2 because it is easy to work on, it is a really nice drive and it turns heads, even if for the wrong reason. i've always loved old cars and always love vws. cant get enough of the valver either, its just pure sex everytime i drive neg. Smile
lemski
lemski
Top Of The World (Legend)

Back to top Go down

Post  roccy Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:14 pm

i think for me its the sexual designes u get with older cars newer cars are built in air tunnels and designed too much for fuel economy and strength wer as the older cars wer designed more towards propper lines and good looks .. plus ther easier to work on and i prefer old school engineering and genarally anything old school...

old school ftw . Smile
roccy
roccy

Back to top Go down

Post  Krash Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:14 pm

i drove a s-plate corsa before i got my polo but as soon as i got into the polo i noticed how much quieter it was everything was easy to find, fuel gauge didn't change ever time u went round a corner digital odometer and the polo's 5 years older then the corsa
Krash
Krash
Site Regular
Site Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jonny54 Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:01 pm

roccy wrote:newer cars are built in air tunnels and designed too much for fuel economy and strength wer as the older cars wer designed more towards propper lines and good looks .. plus ther easier to work on and i prefer old school engineering and genarally anything old school...

Too right!
older cars have style and more class than the new cars and euro boxes. They have history's, souls and personalities.
jonny54
jonny54
Can't Shut Me Up
Can't Shut Me Up

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiztic Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:09 pm

As long as I have been interested in cars I remember wanting a mk2 GTi. There's just something about them that says simple, hardworking, reliable mechanics and pure performance that you can maintain at home....not one of these modern soul-less eco boxes desiged by a committee that you have to plug in to the latest i-wallet-drainer computer everytime it gets a runny nose...

I like getting into a car, 20 years old, after its been sat for 2 weeks in wheel deep snow, and it starts first turn of they key...driving off while a 2 year old punto in the same situation coughs and dies next to it Smile

VW for life, bring back the 80's...less cars, less cocks of the road and much much more honest mechainics

ahem Wink
Wiztic
Wiztic
Can't Shut Me Up
Can't Shut Me Up

Back to top Go down

Post  i_am_me Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:44 pm

i think its cos they were the cars we grew up around when we were kids,and lets face it they are awesome cars. Laughing
i_am_me
i_am_me
Can't Shut Me Up
Can't Shut Me Up

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiztic Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:58 am

i_am_me wrote:i think its cos they were the cars we grew up around when we were kids,and lets face it they are awesome cars. Laughing

agreed Smile
Wiztic
Wiztic
Can't Shut Me Up
Can't Shut Me Up

Back to top Go down

Post  lemski Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:10 am

i_am_me wrote:i think its cos they were the cars we grew up around when we were kids,and lets face it they are awesome cars. Laughing

got it in 1 mate
lemski
lemski

Back to top Go down

Post  roccy Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:18 am

yer +1 also
roccy
roccy