Bomber County Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

project rattlebox

+2
lemski
lewis1641
6 posters

Go down

project rattlebox Empty project rattlebox

Post  lewis1641 Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Cast your minds back a few years to a better time. a time where your author was much younger, fitter, thinner and single and ai might say, a hit with the ladies. Back then i was obsessed with Beetles and I certainly got through a few. I had at one point an apple green 74 that i did nothing with, just ran it till ths mot expired then sold it on, minus it's decent engine.

A few years ago I was offered the car back. I didnt have a bug at the time so tookl the opportunity, especially as he was prepared to wait for the cash (he's still waiting as it happens!)

The shell has deteriorated drastically and needed a lot of work, including the gutters down the full length of the car, both sides. that is a mojor major job. The decision was made to scrap the shell and build something else.

Fast forward a few weeks and a mate offered me a solid but tatty, ex drag race shell. It is an early 60's shell but was converted to a wizard roadster in the early 90's and then campaigned ont he drag strip. I paid £50 for it.

Sadly it was delivered on the back of a pick up and the heater channels bent in transit. subsequent mioving of the shell has caused the bent steel to start to crack so it needs work. I has also slept outsice, uncovered for the past two years so has deteriorated more.

Anyway, the time has come to take action. i decided to start a thread in the hope that a bit of encouragement will stop me from stalling.

This is going to be done on a mega low budget, Some welding work is going to be done by our verry own chataholic, Roccy but I am hoping to do some of the easier bits myseld.

Heres some pics from a few years ago...

project rattlebox Suyh5j

project rattlebox 2eutxg9

i9 think i know what the future holds for this but if anyone has any ideas, feel free to shout out. The screen has been chopped off by the way. that's pretty much all i did to it!

i am thinking silly low mild to dull engine (to start with), tidy engine and running gear, matt brown/rust on the body, welded doors, zero filler so all the welds and plates show. interior will be a pair of mk2 seats(need to source) with all the foam and fabric removed.

minimal electrics. front lights and indicators to me housed on gas masks (need to source)

any parts gratefully accepted!!!
lewis1641
lewis1641
WingMan
WingMan

http://www.map-tech.co.uk

Back to top Go down

project rattlebox Empty Re: project rattlebox

Post  lemski Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:09 pm

dave bout time, cant wait for this to unfold

much love liam
lemski
lemski
Top Of The World (Legend)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiztic Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:57 pm

now thats something to really get your teeth stuck into...your plans sound really interesting...like Liam, cant wait to watch this unfold Smile
Wiztic
Wiztic
Can't Shut Me Up
Can't Shut Me Up

Back to top Go down

Post  Jord_C Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Sounds great what you've got planned Very Happy i wish you luck lol!
Jord_C
Jord_C
Site Regular
Site Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  lewis1641 Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:40 pm

I've done something to it!

Wasn't sure where to start but really wanted to do something. I've not a lot of spare cash currently so i am doing jobs that won't cost much.

Also not really done much with cars and tools for ages so need to improve confidence a bit. So...

I remembered that some of the wheel bolts were on really tight but i'd only tried removing then with a socket a few years back. So i got the breaker bar out and freed them all off. No drama and nothing snapped!

I bought a pair of axle gaiters years ago and these are well beyond split so that's going to be job no 1 - i told you its going to be a steady build lol!

Before they go on i want the axles cleaned up and painted. So i've started that!

Next week, we'll watch some paint dry together.
lewis1641
lewis1641
WingMan
WingMan

Back to top Go down

Post  lemski Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:58 am

well done dave. doesnt it feel better doing the job urself instead of others doing it?
lemski
lemski

Back to top Go down

Post  roccy Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:54 pm

there will be no getting out of having this beaut built as i'll be pushing on with the welding as soon as i am taxed and have fixed ma brakes so i will be up in brig melting metals together with u .....
roccy
roccy

Back to top Go down

Post  lewis1641 Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 pm

forgot to do a "before" pic but this is the other side...

project rattlebox 2z9i2q9

and this side is done. axle cleaned, sanded, rust treated, primed and painted. new axle gaiter on

project rattlebox 2z7imih

did i mention i did some welding?? well i have! plugged 4 holes in the inner wing. its a start!
lewis1641
lewis1641
WingMan
WingMan

Back to top Go down

Post  roccy Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:53 pm

woop woop ur getting started now dave happy days...

did you take any pictures of the welding ??
roccy
roccy

Back to top Go down

Post  THEDUBFATHER Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:04 pm

good stuff, love to see a bit of aircooled resto stuff Smile

THEDUBFATHER
Admin
Admin

https://bombercountydubs.forumotion.com